When the late Dr. W.K. Rogers suggested at a local Civitan meeting in the fall of 1945 that the community would do well to build a hospital in the area. A three-man committee, made up of E.E. Prince, D.O. Heniford and Sam Hickman, was appointed to study the matter. It would take another five years of planning, petitioning, legislation and fundraising before that dream would become a reality. On May 15, 1950, a community realized its dream when Loris Community Hospital opened its doors with 23 patient beds, a handful of physicians and a small, but dedicated staff.
More than a half century later, the hospital continues to enhance and expand the services it provides. To keep pace with the changing needs of its growing communities, Loris Community Hospital had to look toward the future with a strong vision of healthcare for the surrounding communities. In late 2011, the board of commissioners for Loris Community Hospital District unanimously made the decision to enter into a partnership with McLeod Health. This partnership represented a new beginning for two long-time, highly respected healthcare organizations that share a similar mission and philosophy of care. On January 1, 2012, Loris Community Hospital unveiled its new name, McLeod Loris.