The holidays usually mean family, friends and food. It is the time we all gather around the kitchen to fellowship, travel down memory lane, and indulge in all the great tasting food. Most of us look forward to some of those favorite dishes that Granny or our Great Aunt Helen makes. We have thought about how many dishes we are going to pack into one sitting. Well, let’s just take a step back and see how we can enjoy the great food without having to really go overboard.
- Go light on the cheese, cream sauces, gravy, butter, and
- Don’t skip meals. Eating sensibly throughout the day will
help to keep you from over indulging at the table.
- Drink water. Alternating between water, egg nog and other
beverages will help cut the calories.
- Survey the scene. Choose foods you like and skip the ones
you don’t. Include veggies and fruit to make the plate festive.
- Eat small portions. Eat until you are satisfied and not stuffed.
- If we find it difficult to push back from the table and feel like the stuffed turkey, make sure you go light on the next meal.
- Incorporate healthy recipes into the holiday meal.
- If it is a potluck, bring your own healthy dish.
Enjoy the time with family, friends, fellowship, and food with these mindful holiday eating tips.
View as a PDF