McLeod Regional Medical Center (MRMC) is an innovative, non-profit, acute care, 453-bed facility with a Level II Trauma Center and Level III NICU. McLeod serves as the flagship hospital for a five-hospital system located in the northeastern region of South Carolina with a service area that includes 15 counties and a population of close to one million.
McLeod Health has been recognized numerous times for its outstanding work in quality care, best practices and clinical outcomes as well as its physicians' dedication to quality improvement. The efforts to improve quality and patient safety are physician led, data-driven and evidence-based. Because of this commitment by strong, active physician and staff participation, McLeod has received national recognition for quality including the 2010 American Hospital Association-McKesson Quest for Quality Prize. Awarded annually to one hospital in the country, McLeod is the first hospital in South Carolina to receive this prestigious honor since the inception of the national Quest for Quality Prize in 2002.
PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Purpose Statement
PGY1 pharmacy residents will develop a professional maturity through compassionate direct patient care, project management, communication, and leadership skills. They will work collaboratively with interdisciplinary teams to ensure safe and effective medication usage in a cost-effective manner. After completion of the program, residents will be well prepared to pursue a PGY2 residency program or a clinical pharmacist position.
Upon completion of this PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program, the resident will be able to:
- Manage and improve the medication use process
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with interdisciplinary teams to provide evidence-based, patient-centered care for diverse patient populations
- Exercise leadership and practice management skills
- Demonstrate project management skills and conduct practice-related investigations
- Provide drug information services along with medication and practice-related education/training to patients, other healthcare providers and the community
- Utilize medical informatics to advance the practice of pharmacy
- Develop a professional maturity and commitment to the profession
The PGY1 Residency Program includes aspects that will enhance the year-long experience:
- State of the art surgical tower and technology such as Pyxis Connect and Profile, Medication Administration Checker (barcoding program) and Computerized Physician Order Management (CPOM)
- A diverse patient population
- Excellent interdisciplinary partnerships
- Greater than 100 years of history providing medical excellence to the northeastern region of South Carolina and southeastern region of North Carolina
- A challenging, high quality, flexible curriculum to accommodate the individual resident’s needs, areas of interest, and experience