There are ways to treat stroke successful, but you need to recognize the symptoms and get to a hospital with expert stroke care fast.
When it comes to stroke, know the warning signs!
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arms, or legs, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion or trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Sudden trouble seeing out of one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance or coordination
- Severe headaches with no known cause
Act fast in an emergency:
- Don't ignore signs of stroke, even if they go away.
- Check the time. When did the first symptoms start? You'll be asked this question later.
- If you have one or more stroke symptoms that last more than a few minutes, don't delay. Call 911 so an ambulance can be sent for you.
- If you're with someone who may be having stroke symptoms, immediately call 911. Expect the person to protest. Don't take "no" for an answer. Take action.
What are the risks factors of stroke?
- Elevated blood pressure, hypertension
- Smoking tobacco
- A sedentary lifestyle
- Elevated cholesterol
These risk factors are found in men and women equally.