McLeod Antepartum Services and Labor & Delivery includes 17 beds for pre-term patients and 10 state-of-the-art birthing suites. Services offered include:
- An outpatient area that performs routine non-stress tests among a variety of other tests to facilitate a healthy pregnancy.
- An Antepartum Unit that works very closely with patients who are experiencing problems during pregnancy.
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in-house Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist coverage, in addition to full time access to an Obstetrics Anesthesiologist for your pain reduction needs.
- 24 hours a day surgical technicians on staff to help with deliveries and Caesarean Sections (c-sections).
- A large availability of operating rooms and staff to perform emergency C-sections if needed.
- The region's highest level of neonatal care, the McLeod Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) close at hand and attending all high risk and preterm deliveries.
- Highly trained and certified medical professionals. Every McLeod L&D nurse is certified by the Neonatal Resuscitation Program, with many Nationally Certified in Obstetrics and belonging to the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN).
McLeod also offers the support of a Doula (a Greek word for an experienced woman helper), who remains by the laboring woman's side throughout the entire labor. The Doula recognizes birth is a key life experience that a mother will remember all her life, and nurtures and protects the childbirth memory. The Doula provides a calm atmosphere, helping the patient feel more at ease, and provides emotional, physical, and informational support to the laboring woman and her family. She is one-on-one with the patient, not leaving her side. She communicates the patient's desires to the medical staff, and works with the nurse to help the patient understand the processes taking place.
Any laboring woman admitted to McLeod has access to a Doula at no charge, on a first come-first-serve basis. When admitted, if she is requested and available, a Doula will accompany the woman throughout her delivery.