(1/20/12) - The McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit has announced upcoming visits in the region. Visits that are open to the public during February, March, and April include:
• McLeod Family Medicine Timmonsville (755 E. Smith St., Timmonsville), Tuesdays, February 7, March 6, and April 10, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Live Oak Medical Center, Lake City (148 Sauls St., Lake City), Wednesday, February 8, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
• McLeod Family Medicine Johnsonville (355 S. Georgetown Hwy., Johnsonville), Thursdays, February 16, March 15, and April 26, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Francis Marion University (Highway 301/76, Florence), Tuesday, February 21, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Live Oak Medical Center, Kingstree (342 W. Main St., Kingstree), Thursday, March 8, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Pate Medical Associates (116 Hospital Square, Bishopville), Tuesdays, March 13, 8:30 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
• Williamsburg County School District (423 School St., Kingstree), Wednesday, March 14, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Town of Lamar at Piggly Wiggly (100 N. Railroad Ave., Lamar), Monday, March 19, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
• McLeod Family Medicine Lake City (276 N. Ron McNair Blvd., Lake City), Tuesday, March 27, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
For many women in the region, access to a screening mammogram is being improved by the McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit, which each week travels to businesses, industries, health-care facilities, and health fairs. The unit provides a convenient, comfortable, and private setting in which women can undergo a screening mammogram (an X-ray of the breast used to detect breast changes in women who have no signs or symptoms of breast cancer).
Any woman is able to have a screening mammogram performed on the mobile unit if she meets certain conditions and criteria. No physician order is required for a mammogram unless the woman is under age 40 or as specified by her physician. Each woman must have a referring physician to receive the results.
This procedure requires insurance or a method of payment, as normal screening mammogram charges apply (no cash, please). Medicaid, Medicare, and Best Chance Network are accepted. Generally, women must not have had a screening mammogram performed in the past 12 months for most insurance coverage (check your individual plan).
Women may schedule a mammogram on the mobile unit by calling McLeod Reservations and Scheduling at (843) 777-2095 and choosing "Option 1." Please mention that you wish to schedule an appointment on the McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit and the date and location you wish to schedule your mammogram. A complete list of available dates can be found online at www.McLeodHealth.org under "McLeod Events."
An onsite mammogram in a mobile unit is just as safe, accurate, and confidential as going to a hospital. The state-of-the-art equipment on the unit is identical to the three digital units located in the McLeod Breast Imaging Center.
An all-female team of registered radiologic technologists with advanced training in the discipline of mammography staff the mobile unit. Trained registration staff members on the unit discuss personal and financial information with each woman in a highly confidential setting.
The McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit is part of McLeod Health's commitment to women of the region. It is convenient, saves time, and encourages preventive health care. The McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit was purchased through generous donations to the McLeod Health Foundation.
The McLeod Breast Health Center has been granted a three-year/full accreditation designation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. Accreditation by the NAPBC is given only to those centers that have voluntarily committed to
provide the highest level of quality breast care and that undergo a rigorous evaluation process and review of its performance.
A breast center that achieves NAPBC accreditation has demonstrated a firm commitment to offer its patients every significant advantage in their battle against breast disease.