(7/30/10) - The Digital McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit is making visits around the region. Upcoming visits include:
• The Carolinian (718 S. Dargan Street, Florence) Tuesday, March 2, 2011, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
• Pate Medical Associates (116 Hospital Square, Bishopville) Tuesday, March 8, 2011, 8:30 a.m. - 3: 45 p.m.
• Town of Lamar at Piggly Wiggly (100 N. Railroad Avenue, Lamar) Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
• McLeod Family Medicine Johnsonville (355 S. Georgetown Highway, Johnsonville) Thursday, March 17, 2011, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
• McLeod Family Medicine Lake City (276 N. Ron McNair Boulevard, Lake City) Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
• McLeod Family Medicine Timmonsville (755 E. Smith Street, Timmonsville) Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
• Schofield ACE Hardware (155 S. Cashua Drive, Florence) Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit takes digital mammogram screenings to women at health care facilities, businesses, industries, and health fairs to reach those women who do not undergo a mammogram for lack of time, awareness, and access. The unit provides a convenient, comfortable, and private setting in which women can undergo a screening mammogram (an X-ray of the breast used to detect breast changes in women who have no signs or symptoms of breast cancer).
Any woman is able to have a screening mammogram performed on the mobile unit if she meets certain conditions and criteria. No physician order is required for a screening mammogram, but each woman must have a referring physician to receive the mammogram results. This procedure will also require insurance or a method of payment as normal screening mammogram charges apply (no cash please). Medicaid, Medicare, and Best Chance Network are accepted. Generally, women should be 40 years of age or older and must not have had a screening mammogram performed in the past 12 months for most insurance coverage (check your individual plan).
Women may schedule a mammogram on the mobile unit by calling McLeod Reservations and Scheduling at (843) 777-2095 and choosing "Option 1". Please mention that you wish to schedule an appointment on the McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit and the date and location you wish to schedule your mammogram. A complete list of available dates may be found online at www.McLeodHealth.org under "McLeod Events".
An onsite mammogram in a mobile unit is just as safe, accurate, and confidential as going to a hospital. The state-of-the-art equipment on the unit is identical to the three digital units located in the McLeod Breast Imaging Center. An all-female team of registered radiological technologists with advanced training in the discipline of mammography staff the mobile unit. Furthermore, trained registration staff members on the unit discuss personal and financial information with each woman in a highly confidential setting.
The McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit is part of McLeod Health's commitment to women of the region. It is convenient, saves time and encourages preventive health care. The McLeod Mobile Mammography Unit was purchased through generous donations to the McLeod Health Foundation, and is available to businesses, industries, health care facilities, and health fairs.
The McLeod Breast Health Center has been granted a three-year/Full accreditation designation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. Accreditation by the NAPBC is only given to those centers that have voluntarily committed to provide the highest level of quality breast care and that undergo a rigorous evaluation process and review of their performance. A breast center that achieves NAPBC accreditation has demonstrated a firm commitment to offer its patients every significant advantage in their battle against breast disease.